By Dt Shruti Doshi(email@example.com)
King of fruits has already arrived in the market. A fruit which can never be hated by anyone. Yes, I am talking about Mangoes. It’s been more than 5000 years in Indian, mangoes are been cultured. A research done by FAOSTAD,2015 found that the estimate production of mangoes all over the world was 42 million tons per year, where India had been recognized as the largest producer of mango with 1,52500 tons per year followed by China, Kenya, Thailand, Indonesia, Pakistan and Mexico.
Mangoes are normally consumed fresh in the form of slice or in the form of juice, milkshake, ice-cream’s, kulfis or jams. It has been observed that almost 30-60% of the fruit is been discarded as waste by the industries after processing. More than one million tons of waste is found in the form of seeds and mango covering. You may be thinking why am I focusing more on discarded part it’s because MANGO SEEDS have its own nutritional benefits.
Mango seeds are made up of High Bioactive Compounds i.e. phenolic compounds, vitamin A, vitamin C and dietary fiber. Mango is considered as the good source of antioxidant due to bioactive properties found in its seed kernel. It has been stated that mango seeds have the highest Antioxidant property which fight against Free Radicals and Oxidative Stress. (Ribeiro,2010) To be precise free radicals and oxidative stress is one of the reasons to cause heart disease and cancer. Abdullah in 2014 in his research paper mentioned that Mango Seed extract is been used as an Alternative Breast Cancer Treatment.
Mango seed is not only a source of amino acid(proteins) but also a good source of micronutrients like potassium, zinc, magnesium and calcium. They play an essential role in normal metabolic function of the human body. Even today in the rural parts of India mango seed is used as an Alternative Treatment of Diarrhea (Loose Motions). Mango seeds if dried for 3 days and then added in the coconut oil for atleast 30 days and then applied on hair, will help to Reduce Hair fall.
Would like to share a traditional recipe which is not only rich in micronutrients, antioxidant but also helps to cure diarrhea.
MANGO SEED MUKHVAS.
This mouth freshener is not only crispy, crunchy but also easy to make. Mango Seeds are cooked, dried and fried / roasted and then seasoned with mysterious spices which will tempt your taste buds.
- 30 Mango Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 half lemon
- Black Salt
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Asafetida (Hing)
- 1-2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Collect the seeds, wash them properly and allow them to dry for at least 6-7 days
- Hold the seed as shown in the picture and hit on the edges with the help of pestle.
- Pressure cook the seeds for 3 whistles on a medium flame
- Strain the seeds allow them to cool and grate them or cut into pieces.
- Now again completely air dry the grated seeds for 2 day
- Heat very little oil in a pan and roast the grated seeds. Roast the mukhwas till it is crispy. Even if you are making pieces you will still have to roast
- Add normal salt, rock salt, Hing, cumin powder, turmeric powder to it.
- Allow it to cool and then squeeze lemon juice to it, mix it well
- You can store it in air tight container. It can easily be stored for a year.
Stay tuned to know more about ancient traditional recipes with its benefits……..